Change file type association in PyCharm

Viewed 20958

I have a file in PyCharm and its used to be just a .txt file. Now I wanted to use .rst (reStructuredText).

I know that when I open a file without an ending for the first time PyCharm asks me what kind of file it is and how the syntax should therefore be interpreted.

Can I open up that dialog again somehow, or can I change the association in some other way?

5 Answers

In case someone still cannot find it: under Settings | Editor | File Types menu, look for: Files Opened In Associated Applications - see if you can spot there the full name of the problematic file and remove it.

PyCharm > Preferences > Editor > File Type > Recognised file types > Select one (e.g., Javascript) > Registered Patterns (+ add wildcard * > apply > - remove wildcard).

This worked for me to get my files associated with the right type.

Related