I want to summarize rather than compress in a similar manner to run length encoding but in a nested sense.
For instance, I want : ABCBCABCBCDEEF to become: (2A(2BC))D(2E)F
I am not concerned that an option is picked between two identical possible nestings E.g.
ABBABBABBABA could be (3ABB)ABA or A(3BBA)BA which are of the same compressed length, despite having different structures.
However I do want the choice to be MOST greedy. For instance:
ABCDABCDCDCDCD would pick (2ABCD)(3CD) - of length six in original symbols which is less than ABCDAB(4CD) which is length 8 in original symbols.
In terms of background I have some repeating patterns that I want to summarize. So that the data is more digestible. I don't want to disrupt the logical order of the data as it is important. but I do want to summarize it , by saying, symbol A times 3 occurrences, followed by symbols XYZ for 20 occurrences etc. and this can be displayed in a nested sense visually.
Welcome ideas.