SQL Server computed column select from another table

Viewed 42330

I'm not to sure what the best way to go about this is, so i'll describe what the end goal is, and if a computed column is the answer then please help me go that route, or perhaps a better route.

I have two tables:

Orders

OrderId
PackageId
MediaSpend
TotalAdViews (Computed column)

Packages

PackageId
BaseAdViews

Each order is assigned a package that comes with say 1,000 views, you can then buy more media spend to get more views. I wanted to create a column called TotalAdViews which would add BaseAdViews + MediaSpend. From my understanding if persistance is enabled the column won't need to recalculate every time it is queried, which could help performance.

How do I get a value from another table in my computed column? Or please suggest an alternate way of accomplishing my goal.

3 Answers
Related