Alternatives to Chef/Fabric/Puppet for Simple LAMP Development?

Viewed 4659

I've finally committed to really learning the software design process correctly in order to advance my skills and grow my business. This means embracing version control (git), setting up a development-staging-production environment and keeping these environments as similarly configured as possible.

I'm getting really caught up with the last step, in picking a solution to automate and sync my server settings. I've looked into Chef, Puppet & Fabric, but for my purposes they all seem overly complex. I am:

  • Developing a small web app on a single server
  • Will be developing in a LAMP environment with intermediate PHP & UNIX skills
  • Won't be heavily modifying environmental variables (primarily php.ini, apache configs)

I would appreciate any recommendations on solutions that would be easier to implement than mastering the complex Chef environment or learning Python to use Fabric. I can do this if necessary, but am hoping there is a more basic / elegant solution given my very simplistic needs.

4 Answers
Related