Why can a .NET delegate not be declared static?

Viewed 44846

When I try to compile the following:

public static delegate void MoveDelegate (Actor sender, MoveDirection args);

I receive, as an error: "The modifer 'static' is not valid for the this item."

I'm implementing this within a singleton, with a separate class which calls the delegate. The problem is that when I use the singleton instance within the other class to call the delegate (from the identifier, not the type), I can't do that for whatever reason, even when I declare the delegate non-static. Obviously, I can only refer to it via the type directly if and only if the delegate is static.

What is the reasoning behind this? I am using MonoDevelop 2.4.2.

update

After trying one of the suggestions with the following code:

public void Move(MoveDirection moveDir)
{
    ProcessMove(moveDir);
}

public void ProcessMove(MoveDirection moveDir)
{
    Teleporter.MoveMethod mm = new Teleporter.MoveMethod(Move); 
    moveDelegate(this, moveDir);
}

I've received a processing error, which states that the MoveMethod must be a type, and not an identifier.

6 Answers
Related