Interactive Floor Plans in HTML5

Viewed 50759

I have to develop interactive floor plan navigator and viewer for apartment buildings, which will succeed its Flash-based predecessor.

I am now in the process of evaluating techniques and technologies best suited to implement this in HTML5. I will have to support all common browsers (IE starting with 7).

Requirements:

  • The user is presented with several static outdoor views of the building, between which he can switch with a simple widget.
  • They will be able to select a floor on this outside view. On mouseover (click for touch devices) the floor will be highlighted.
  • Upon clicking on the floor you switch to a floor plan, which - again on mouseover/onclick - provides detailed information about the apartment.
  • Some animations should be involved, but nothing too fancy.

I have been thinking of the options for implementing this. I will also need a quick way of selecting polygons for the floors (overview) an the apartments (floor plan) to allow non-developers to create new buildings.

The options I came up with:

  1. Use plain images and image maps for the layovers.
  2. Use canvas(utilizing Google's Javascript solution for browsers without support). Load the image in the canvas tag and dynamically create the layovers.
  3. Use SVG

What is the best option for cross-browser compatability?

2 Answers
Related