Posting JSON data with Groovy's HTTPBuilder

Viewed 61353

I've found this doc on how to post JSON data using HttpBuilder. I'm new to this, but it is very straightforward example and easy to follow. Here is the code, assuming I had imported all required dependencies.

def http = new HTTPBuilder( 'http://example.com/handler.php' )
http.request( POST, JSON ) { req ->
    body = [name:'bob', title:'construction worker']

     response.success = { resp, json ->
        // response handling here
    }
}

Now my problem is, I'm getting an exception of

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at groovyx.net.http.HTTPBuilder$RequestConfigDelegate.setBody(HTTPBuilder.java:1131)

Did I miss something? I'll greatly appreciate any help you can do.

5 Answers

If you need to execute a POST with contentType JSON and pass a complex json data, try to convert your body manually:

def attributes = [a:[b:[c:[]]], d:[]] //Complex structure
def http = new HTTPBuilder("your-url")
http.auth.basic('user', 'pass') // Optional
http.request (POST, ContentType.JSON) { req ->
  uri.path = path
  body = (attributes as JSON).toString()
  response.success = { resp, json -> }
  response.failure = { resp, json -> }
}    
Related