What does PHP do with deprecated functions?

Viewed 26949

Getting these errors "Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated..."

While I know what deprecated function means, but I am not very clear that what PHP does to them? Still execute them as usual? So at this point for this function, does PHP silently assign memory location for the variable or still using reference pointer?

EDIT - thanks for the answers, I asked this question because we are using adodb_lite and the library has not corrected error.

9 Answers

They can be removed in later versions of php so don't use a shared server. This happened to me. My site was working fine until the service provider decided to 'upgrade' the version of php. Suddenly my site fell over in a big heap because the php people in their infinite wisdom decided to remove some functions.

Related