How to debug Nunit test in Visual Studio 2010

Viewed 29173

I have a problem debugging an NUnit test from VisualStudio. I created an empty project (Console Application), then I added references to the NUnit library and wrote a simple test.

namespace ReimplementingLinq.Tests
{
    [TestFixture]
    public class WhereTest
    {
        [Test]
        public void SimpleFiltering()
        {
            int[] source = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 8, 1 };
            var result = source.Where(val => val < 4);
            int[] expected = {1,2,3,4};
            CollectionAssert.AreEqual(expected, result);
        }
    }
}

Next I followed the advice given in this link How do I run NUnit in debug mode from Visual Studio? but none of the solutions in that topic work for me. None of my breakpoints are hit while performing the test. I tried testing the solution by attaching to the process and also by running the project with an external program with arguments.

What can I do to debug my unit test?

5 Answers

Had the same problem with NUnit 2.5.3, and eventually found a different solution. See if this works for you:

Open NUnit GUI and go into Tools menu Settings... dialog. Select Assembly Isolation subsection of Test Loader section in Settings tree. Set the Default Process Model to Run tests dierctly in the NUnit process.

I had it set to Run tests in a single seperate process, which is why the debugger could not link my dll under test to the symbols for debugging it. I am still using Use a sperate AppDomain per Assembly for my Default Domain Usage.

Related