Will a recursive 'setTimeout' function call eventually kill the JS Engine?

Viewed 4837

Let's say I have some data that I need to get from the server about every 10 seconds. I would have a function that gets the data via AJAX and then call setTimeout to call this function again:

function GetData(){
   $.ajax({
       url: "data.json",
       dataType: "json",
       success: function(data){
         // do somthing with the data

         setTimeout(GetData, 10000);
      },
      error: function(){
         setTimeout(GetData, 10000);
      }
   });
}

If someone leaves the web page open all day, it could get thousands of recursive function calls.

I don't want to use setInterval because that does not take into account network delay. If the network is busy and it takes 15 seconds to process the request, I don't want to ask it again before I get the AJAX timeout.

What is the best way to handle a function that needs to be called periodically?

1 Answers
Related