Find the position of an element within its parent with XSLT / XPath

Viewed 31521

Apart from rewriting a lot of XSLT code (which I'm not going to do), is there a way to find the position of an element within its parent, when the context is arbitrarily set to something else? Here's an example:

<!-- Here are my records-->
<xsl:for-each select="/path/to/record">
  <xsl:variable name="record" select="."/>

  <!-- At this point, I could use position() -->
  <!-- Set the context to the current record -->
  <xsl:for-each select="$record">

    <!-- At this point, position() is meaningless because it's always 1 -->
    <xsl:call-template name="SomeTemplate"/>
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:for-each>


<!-- This template expects the current context being set to a record -->
<xsl:template name="SomeTemplate">

  <!-- it does stuff with the record's fields -->
  <xsl:value-of select="SomeRecordField"/>

  <!-- How to access the record's position in /path/to or in any other path? -->
</xsl:template>

NOTE: This is a simplified example. I have several constraints keeping me from implementing obvious solutions, such as passing new parameters to SomeTemplate, etc. I can really only modify the internals of SomeTemplate.

NOTE: I'm using Xalan 2.7.1 with EXSLT. So those tricks are available

Any ideas?

1 Answers
Related