I have a sidebar navigation in standard <ul><li><a></a></li></ul> pattern which truncates the full text of the links using overflow hidden. After hovering for 1s, I want the the anchor to expand in width, showing the full text of the link.
I have this functionality working completely in CSS, but I'm running into anomaly: I have the width of the anchor set to Auto on :hover. After the 1s delay is triggered, the width of anchor snaps to 0 and then expands out to its full width.
below is my css, and here you can see my current code in action: http://eventfeedstl.com/day/07182011/
.day .sidebar{
width: 200px;
}
.day .sidebar ul {
list-style: none;
padding: 0;
margin:0;
position: absolute;
width: auto;
}
.day .sidebar ul li{
border-bottom: 1px solid #626666;
display: relative;
width: 200px;
}
.day .sidebar ul li:hover{
width: auto;
}
.day .sidebar ul li a{
font-weight: normal;
font-size: .8em;
color: #f2f2f2;
display: block;
width: auto;
padding: 4px 5px;
background: none;
width: 190px;
height: 10px;
overflow: hidden;
position: relative;
z-index: 10;
-webkit-transition: background 1.3s ease-out;
-moz-transition: background 1.3s ease-out;
transition: background-color 1.3s ease-out;
}
.day .sidebar ul li a:hover {
background: #797979;
-webkit-transition: background 0.15s;
-moz-transition: background 0.15s;
transition: background 0.15s;
text-decoration: none;
width: auto;
-webkit-transition-property:width;
-webkit-transition-delay:1s;
position: relative;
}