Variable expansion is different in zsh from that in bash

Viewed 11423

The following is a simple test case for what I want to illustrate.

In bash,

# define the function f
f () { ls $args; }

# Runs the command `ls`
f

# Runs the fommand `ls -a`
args="-a"
f

# Runs the command `ls -a -l`
args="-a -l"
f

But in zsh

# define the function f
f () { ls $args }

# Runs the command `ls`
f

# Runs the fommand `ls -a`
args="-a"
f

# I expect it to run `ls -a -l`, instead it gives me an error
args="-a -l"
f

The last line in the zsh on above, gives me the following error

ls: invalid option -- ' '
Try `ls --help' for more information.

I think zsh is executing

ls "-a -l"

which is when I get the same error. So, how do I get bash's behavior here?

I'm not sure if I'm clear, let me know if there is something you want to know.

1 Answers
Related