Bing Maps API - SQL - geometry vs geography type

Viewed 2503

I'm developing a Mapping Service with Bing Maps AJAX API and SQL Server 2008. The question which appears to me is should I use the geography or geometry data type. I researched a lot but doesn't found a satisfactory answer. Here are some links about the topic:

If I compare the two types I see the following points.

pro geography

  • consistent distance calculation around the world (time line!)
  • the coordinate system of the database is the same as the one which is used to add data to a map with the Bing Maps API (WGS84)
  • precise

contra geography

  • high computational costs
  • data size constrained to one hemisphere
  • missing functions (STConvexHull(), STRelate(),...)

pro geometry

  • faster computation
  • unconstrained data size

contra geography

  • distance units in degree (if we use WGS84 coordinates)

The problem for me is that I don't need a fast framework, a great coverage (the whole world) and high functionality. So I would prefer the geometry type. The problem with the geometry type is, that I have to transform my data into a flat projection (Bing Map use SRID=3875), so that I get meters for the calculation. But when I use the Bing Maps projection (3875) in the database I have to transform my data back to WGS84 if I won't to display it in the map.

1 Answers
Related