Using "..." and "replicate"

Viewed 6644

In the documentation of sapply and replicate there is a warning regarding using ...

Now, I can accept it as such, but would like to understand what is behind it. So I've created this little contrived example:

innerfunction<-function(x, extrapar1=0, extrapar2=extrapar1)
{
    cat("x:", x, ", xp1:", extrapar1, ", xp2:", extrapar2, "\n")
}

middlefunction<-function(x,...)
{
    innerfunction(x,...)
}

outerfunction<-function(x, ...)
{
    cat("Run middle function:\n")
    replicate(2, middlefunction(x,...))
    cat("Run inner function:\n")
    replicate(2, innerfunction(x,...))
}

outerfunction(1,2,3)
outerfunction(1,extrapar1=2,3)
outerfunction(1,extrapar1=2,extrapar2=3)

Perhaps I've done something obvious horribly wrong, but I find the result of this rather upsetting. So can anyone explain to me why, in all of the above calls to outerfunction, I get this output:

Run middle function:
x: 1 , xp1: 0 , xp2: 0 
x: 1 , xp1: 0 , xp2: 0 
Run inner function:
x: 1 , xp1: 0 , xp2: 0 
x: 1 , xp1: 0 , xp2: 0

Like I said: the docs seem to warn for this, but I do not see why this is so.

4 Answers
Related