Keep persistent variables in memory between runs of Python script

Viewed 77140

Is there any way of keeping a result variable in memory so I don't have to recalculate it each time I run the beginning of my script? I am doing a long (5-10 sec) series of the exact operations on a data set (which I am reading from disk) every time I run my script. This wouldn't be too much of a problem since I'm pretty good at using the interactive editor to debug my code in between runs; however sometimes the interactive capabilities just don't cut it.

I know I could write my results to a file on disk, but I'd like to avoid doing so if at all possible. This should be a solution which generates a variable the first time I run the script, and keeps it in memory until the shell itself is closed or until I explicitly tell it to fizzle out. Something like this:

# Check if variable already created this session
in_mem = var_in_memory() # Returns pointer to var, or False if not in memory yet
if not in_mem:
    # Read data set from disk
    with open('mydata', 'r') as in_handle:
        mytext = in_handle.read()
    # Extract relevant results from data set
    mydata = parse_data(mytext)
    result = initial_operations(mydata)
    in_mem = store_persistent(result)

I've an inkling that the shelve module might be what I'm looking for here, but looks like in order to open a shelve variable I would have to specify a file name for the persistent object, and so I'm not sure if it's quite what I'm looking for.

Any tips on getting shelve to do what I want it to do? Any alternative ideas?

8 Answers

Weirdly, none of the earlier answers here mention simple text files. The OP says they don't like the idea, but as this is becoming a canonical for duplicates which might not have that constraint, this alternative deserves a mention. If all you need is for some text to survive between invocations of your script, save it in a regular text file.

def main():
    # Before start, read data from previous run
    try:
        with open('mydata.txt', encoding='utf-8') as statefile:
            data = statefile.read().rstrip('\n')
    except FileNotFound:
        data = "some default, or maybe nothing"

    updated_data = your_real_main(data)

    # When done, save new data for next run
    with open('mydata.txt', 'w', encoding='utf-8') as statefile:
        statefile.write(updated_data + '\n')

This easily extends to more complex data structures, though then you'll probably need to use a standard structured format like JSON or YAML (for serializing data with tree-like structures into text) or CSV (for a matrix of columns and rows containing text and/or numbers).

Ultimately, shelve and pickle are just glorified generalized versions of the same idea; but if your needs are modest, the benefits of a simple textual format which you can inspect and update in a regular text editor, and read and manipulate with ubiquitous standard tools, and easily copy and share between different Python versions and even other programming languages as well as version control systems etc, are quite compelling.

As an aside, character encoding issues are a complication which you need to plan for; but in this day and age, just use UTF-8 for all your text files.

Another caveat is that beginners are often confused about where to save the file. A common convention is to save it in the invoking user's home directory, though that obviously means multiple users cannot share this data. Another is to save it in a shared location, but this then requires an administrator to separately grant write access to this location (except I guess on Windows; but that then comes with its own tectonic plate of other problems).

The main drawback is that text is brittle if you need multiple processes to update the file in rapid succession, and slow to handle if you have lots of data and need to update parts of it frequently. For these use cases, maybe look at a database (probably start with SQLite which is robust and nimble, and included in the Python standard library; scale up to Postgres or etc if you have entrerprise-grade needs).

And, of course, if you need to store native Python structures, shelve and pickle are still there.

Related