fopen() returning a NULL pointer, but the file definitely exists

Viewed 58892

The code I have is as follows:

FILE *txt_file = fopen("data.txt", "r");
if (txt_file == NULL) {
    perror("Can't open file");
} 

The error message returned is:

Can't open file: No such file or directory

The file 'data.txt' definitely exists in the working directory (it exists in the directory that contains my .c and .h files), so why is fopen() is returning a NULL pointer?

7 Answers

I encountered the same errno to fopen on Linux from a script file corrupted by Windows.

ENOENT 2 No such file or directory

Wordpad on Windows (or some other Microsoft culprit) inserted CRLF = (0x0D, 0x0A) into my linux script files in place of newline = LF = 0x0A. When I read the file name into a buffer and called fopen if failed due to the invisible appended CR character.

In the Codelite editor on Linux Mint I was able to show EOL characters (View > Display EOL) and remove them with find and replace, using copy and paste of the CRLF from the corrupted script files and the LF from an uncorrupted file into the text fields.

Related