File too big when uploading a file with the asp:FileUpLoad control

Viewed 16282

I am using the asp:FileUpLoad to upload files in my asp.net c# project. This all works fine as long as the file size does not exceed the maximum allowed. When the maximum is exceeded. I get an error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". The problem is the try catch block doesn't catch the error so I cannot give the user a friendly message that they have excced the allowable size. I have seen this problem while searching the web but I cannot find an acceptable solution.

I would look at other controls, but my managemment probably wouldn't go for buying a third-party control.

In light of answer suggesting ajac, I need to add this comment. I tried to load the ajax controls months ago. As soon as I use an ajax control, I get this compile error.

Error 98 The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptControl' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

I could get rid of it although I did add 'System.Web.Extensions'. So I abandoned Ajax and used other techniques.

So I need to solved this problem or a completely new solution.

6 Answers
Related