How to disable Excel's automatic cell reference change after copy/paste?

Viewed 142268

I've got a massive Excel 2003 spreadsheet I'm working on. There are a lot of very large formulas with a lot of cell references. Here's a simple example.

='Sheet'!AC69+'Sheet'!AC52+'Sheet'!AC53)*$D$3+'Sheet'!AC49

Most of them are more complicated than that, but this gives a good idea of what I'm working with. Few of these cell references are absolute ($s). I'd like to be able to copy these cells to a different location without the cell references changing. I know I can simply use f4 to make the references absolute, but there is a lot of data and I may need to use Fill later. Is there any way to temporarily disable the cell reference changing on copy-paste/fill without making the references absolute?

EDIT: I just found out that you can do this with VBA by copying the cell contents as text instead of a formula. I'd like to not have to do this though because I want to copy whole rows/columns at once. Is there a simple solution I am missing?

13 Answers

Simple workaround I used just now while in a similar situation:

  1. Make a duplicate of the worksheet.
  2. Cut + Paste the cells with formulas from the duplicate worksheet (e.g. Copy of Sheet1) into the original worksheet.
  3. Remove all occurrences of the the duplicate sheet's name from the newly pasted formulas; e.g. find-and-replace all occurrences of the search term 'Copy of Sheet1'! with an empty string (i.e. blank).
  4. Delete duplicate worksheet to clean up.

Note: if your sheet name lacks spaces you won't need to use the single quote/apostrophe (').

Your cell references are now copied without being altered.

This macro does the whole job.

Sub Absolute_Reference_Copy_Paste()
'By changing "=" in formulas to "#" the content is no longer seen as a formula.
' C+S+e (my keyboard shortcut)

Dim Dummy As Range
Dim FirstSelection As Range
Dim SecondSelection As Range
Dim SheetFirst As Worksheet
Dim SheetSecond As Worksheet

On Error GoTo Whoa

Application.EnableEvents = False

' Set starting selection variable.
Set FirstSelection = Selection
Set SheetFirst = FirstSelection.Worksheet

' Reset the Find function so the scope of the search area is the current worksheet.
Set Dummy = Worksheets(1).Range("A1:A1").Find("Dummy", LookIn:=xlValues)

' Change "=" to "#" in selection.
Selection.Replace What:="=", Replacement:="#", LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

' Select the area you want to paste the formulas; must be same size as original
  selection and outside of the original selection.
Set SecondSelection = Application.InputBox("Select a range", "Obtain Range Object", Type:=8)
Set SheetSecond = SecondSelection.Worksheet

' Copy the original selection and paste it into the newly selected area. The active
  selection remains FirstSelection.
FirstSelection.Copy SecondSelection

' Restore "=" in FirstSelection.
Selection.Replace What:="#", Replacement:="=", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

' Select SecondSelection.
SheetSecond.Activate
SecondSelection.Select

' Restore "=" in SecondSelection.
Selection.Replace What:="#", Replacement:="=", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

' Return active selection to the original area: FirstSelection.
SheetFirst.Activate
FirstSelection.Select

Application.EnableEvents = True

Exit Sub

Whoa:
' If something goes wrong after "=" has been changed in FirstSelection, restore "=".
FirstSelection.Select
Selection.Replace What:="#", Replacement:="=", LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

End Sub

Note that you must match the size and shape of the original selection when you make your new selection.

I found this solution which automates @Alistair Collins solution.

Basically you will change the = in any formula to * then do the paste after that you will change it back

        Dim cell As Range

msgResult = MsgBox("Yes to lock" & vbNewLine & "No unlock ", vbYesNoCancel + vbQuestion, "Forumula locker")

If msgResult = vbNo Then
    For Each cell In Range("A1:i155")
        If InStr(1, cell.Value, "*") > 0 Then
            cell.Formula = Replace(cell.Formula, "*", "=")
        End If
    Next cell
ElseIf msgResult = vbYes Then
    For Each cell In Range("A1:i155")
        If cell.HasFormula = True Then
            cell.Formula = Replace(cell.Formula, "=", "*")
        End If
    Next cell
End If
Related