Convert DOC file to DOCX with Java

Viewed 21294

I need to use DOCX files (actually the XML contained in them) in a Java software I'm currently developing, but some people in my company still use the DOC format.

Do you know if there is a way to convert a DOC file to the DOCX format using Java ? I know it's possible using C#, but that's not an option

I googled it, but nothing came up...

Thanks

7 Answers

Use newer versions of jars jodconverter-core-4.2.2.jar and jodconverter-local-4.2.2.jar

String inputFile = "*.doc";
String outputFile = "*.docx";

LocalOfficeManager localOfficeManager = LocalOfficeManager.builder()
            .install()
            .officeHome(getDefaultOfficeHome()) //your path to openoffice
            .build();

  try {
      localOfficeManager.start();
      final DocumentFormat format
              = DocumentFormat.builder()
                      .from(DefaultDocumentFormatRegistry.DOCX)
                      .build();

      LocalConverter
              .make()
              .convert(new FileInputStream(new File(inputFile)))
              .as(DefaultDocumentFormatRegistry.getFormatByMediaType("application/msword"))
              .to(new File(outputFile))
              .as(format)
              .execute();

  } catch (OfficeException ex) {
      Logger.getLogger(Main.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
  } catch (FileNotFoundException ex) {
      Logger.getLogger(Main.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
  } finally {
      OfficeUtils.stopQuietly(localOfficeManager);
  }
import java.io.File;
import java.io.FileInputStream;
import java.io.FileOutputStream;
import java.io.OutputStream;

import com.lowagie.text.Document;
import com.lowagie.text.DocumentException;
import com.lowagie.text.Paragraph;
import com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter;


import org.apache.poi.hwpf.HWPFDocument;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.extractor.WordExtractor;

import org.apache.poi.hwpf.usermodel.Range;
import org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem;


public class TestCon {

    /**
     * @param args
     */
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        // TODO Auto-generated method stub

        POIFSFileSystem fs = null;  
        Document document = new Document();

        try {  
            System.out.println("Starting the test");  
            fs = new POIFSFileSystem(new FileInputStream("C:/Users/312845/Desktop/a.doc"));  

            HWPFDocument doc = new HWPFDocument(fs);  
            WordExtractor we = new WordExtractor(doc);  

            OutputStream file = new FileOutputStream(new File("C:/Users/312845/Desktop/test.docx")); 

            System.out.println("Document testing completed");  
        } catch (Exception e) {  
            System.out.println("Exception during test");  
            e.printStackTrace();  
        } finally {  
            // close the document  
            document.close();  
        }  
    }  
}
Related