Dynamically adding a child to LinearLayout with getting each child's position

Viewed 38673

I have a problem with getting the child's position of LinearLayout. First I'm adding dynamically a number of buttons and then I'm trying to return each child's index and display it into a TextView. Here I'm sharing code:

java source:

private String[] categories;

private LinearLayout ll;
private TextView tv;

public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    setContentView(R.layout.main);

    categories = getResources().getStringArray(R.array.categories);

    tv = (TextView) findViewById(R.id.text);
    ll = (LinearLayout) findViewById(R.id.hsvLinearLayout);

    for(int i = 0; i < categories.length; i++) {
        Button btn = new Button(this);
        btn.setText(categories[i]);
        btn.setOnClickListener(buttonClick);
        ll.addView(btn);
    }
}

OnClickListener buttonClick = new OnClickListener() {
    public void onClick(View v) {
        tv.setText(ll.indexOfChild(v));
    }
};

xml structure:

<LinearLayout
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:orientation="horizontal"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent"
>

<HorizontalScrollView
    android:id="@+id/Footer"
    android:orientation="horizontal"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:scrollbars="none"
    android:fadingEdge="none"
    >

    <LinearLayout
        android:id="@+id/hsvLinearLayout"
        android:orientation="horizontal"
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        >

    </LinearLayout>

</HorizontalScrollView>

<TextView
    android:id="@+id/text"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    />

resources:

<string name="today">Today</string>
<string name="life">Life</string>
<string name="corner">Corner</string>
<string name="banks">Banks</string>
<string name="it">IT</string>
<string name="fun">Fun</string>

<array name="categories">
    <item>@string/today</item>
    <item>@string/life</item>
    <item>@string/corner</item>
    <item>@string/banks</item>
    <item>@string/it</item>
    <item>@string/fun</item>
</array>

The dynamically adding is fine, but the way I'm setting the OnClickListener produce some error. Any help will be useful! The purpose of that is if I want to add one or more button(s) to the HorizontalScrollView not to be necessary to edit many files, and just to go to sting.xml and create a new item into the categories-array!

This is what LogCat produced:

07-12 22:37:17.680: INFO/System.out(331): waiting for debugger to settle...
07-12 22:37:17.900: INFO/System.out(331): debugger has settled (1441)
07-12 22:37:20.870: INFO/ActivityManager(61): Displayed activity com.test/.TestDynam: 10203 ms (total 10203 ms)
07-12 22:37:25.552: WARN/ResourceType(331): No package identifier when getting value for resource number 0x00000000
07-12 22:37:26.871: DEBUG/dalvikvm(132): GC freed 190 objects / 8976 bytes in 901ms

To clarify - the application starts without any errors, but when I click on a button it produces this line from the above log:

07-12 22:37:25.552: WARN/ResourceType(331): No package identifier when getting value for resource number 0x00000000

And this is from debugger:

TestDynam [Android Application] 
    DalvikVM[localhost:8611]    
        Thread [<3> main] (Suspended (exception Resources$NotFoundException))   
            ViewRoot.handleMessage(Message) line: 1704  
            ViewRoot(Handler).dispatchMessage(Message) line: 99 
            Looper.loop() line: 123 
            ActivityThread.main(String[]) line: 4203    
            Method.invokeNative(Object, Object[], Class, Class[], Class, int, boolean) line: not available [native method]  
            Method.invoke(Object, Object...) line: 521  
            ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run() line: 791  
            ZygoteInit.main(String[]) line: 549 
            NativeStart.main(String[]) line: not available [native method]  
        Thread [<13> Binder Thread #2] (Running)    
        Thread [<11> Binder Thread #1] (Running)
2 Answers
Related