Choose Python function to call based on a regex

Viewed 40676

Is it possible to put a function in a data structure, without first giving it a name with def?

# This is the behaviour I want. Prints "hi".
def myprint(msg):
    print msg
f_list = [ myprint ]
f_list[0]('hi')
# The word "myprint" is never used again. Why litter the namespace with it?

The body of a lambda function is severely limited, so I can't use them.

Edit: For reference, this is more like the real-life code where I encountered the problem.

def handle_message( msg ):
    print msg
def handle_warning( msg ):
    global num_warnings, num_fatals
    num_warnings += 1
    if ( is_fatal( msg ) ):
        num_fatals += 1
handlers = (
    ( re.compile( '^<\w+> (.*)' ), handle_message ),
    ( re.compile( '^\*{3} (.*)' ), handle_warning ),
)
# There are really 10 or so handlers, of similar length.
# The regexps are uncomfortably separated from the handler bodies,
# and the code is unnecessarily long.

for line in open( "log" ):
    for ( regex, handler ) in handlers:
        m = regex.search( line )
        if ( m ): handler( m.group(1) )
14 Answers
Related