How interrupt/stop a thread in Java?

Viewed 62253

I'm trying to stop a thread but I can't do that :

public class Middleware {

public void read() {
    try {
        socket = new Socket("192.168.1.8", 2001);

        // code .. 

        Scan scan = new Scan();
        thread = new Thread(scan);
        thread.start();

    } catch (UnknownHostException ex) {
        ex.printStackTrace();

    } catch (IOException ex) {
        ex.printStackTrace();
    }
}

class Scan extends Thread {

    public void run() {

        while (true) {
            try {
            // my code goes here

            } catch (IOException ex) {
                thread.currentThread().interrupt();
            }
        }
    }
}

public void stop() {
    Thread.currentThread().interrupt();
}

// get and setters
}

So, even when i call the method 'stop' the thread don't stop. It keeps alive.

How can I interrupt/stop this thread ?

UPDATE (@little approach)

private void tb_startActionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent evt) {                                         
    Middleware middleware = new Middleware();

    if (tb_start.getText().equals("Start")){
        tb_start.setText("Stop");

        // starting to read rfid tags
        middleware.read();
    }else{
        tb_start.setText("Start");

        // stop reading rfid tags
        middleware.stop();
    }
}

The Middleware class :

public class Middleware {

    private Scan scan;

    public void read() {

        scan = new Scan();
        scan.start();
    }

    private class Scan extends Thread {

        @Override
        public void run() {
            while (!Thread.currentThread().isInterrupted()) {
                System.out.println("reading...");
            }
        }
    }

    public void stop() {
        if (scan != null) {
            scan.interrupt();
        }
    }
}

But when I try to stop the thread, it doesn't.

What could be wrong in the code above ?

8 Answers
Related