Synchronous database queries with Node.js

Viewed 97355

I have a Node.js/Express app that queries a MySQL db within the route and displays the result to the user. My problem is how do I run the queries and block until both queries are done before redirecting the user to the page they requested?

In my example I have 2 queries that need to finish before I render the page. I can get the queries to run synchronously if i nest query 2 inside the 'result' callback of query 1. This however will become very convoluted when the number of queries increase.

How do I go about running multiple (in this case 2) database queries synchronously without nesting the subsequent query in the prior query's 'result' callback?

I've looked at the 'Flow control / Async goodies' in the Node modules and tried flow-js but I can't get it to work with the async queries.

Listed below are the 2 queries that I'm attempting to execute from the '/home' route. Can the Node experts explain the 'right' way to do this.

app.get('/home', function (req,res) {
    var user_array = [];
    var title_array = [];

    // first query
    var sql = 'select user_name from users';
    db.execute(sql)
        .addListener('row', function(r) {
            user_array.push( { user_name: r.user_name } );
        })
        .addListener('result', function(r) {
            req.session.user_array = user_array;
        });

    // second query
    var sql = 'select title from code_samples';
    db.execute(sql)
        .addListener('row', function(r) {
            title_array.push( { title: r.title } );
        })
        .addListener('result', function(r) {
            req.session.title_array = title_array;
        });

        // because the queries are async no data is returned to the user
        res.render('home.ejs', {layout: false, locals: { user_name: user_array, title: title_array }});
});
6 Answers
Related