jQuery append text

Viewed 78493

I want to append some simple data in a div like:

$('#msg').append('Some text');

In the body, i think i will need to place the the html like.

<div id="test">    

<div id="msg"></div>  //show text inside it.

</div>

However, I want to add some CSS to the #msg. For example, background color. Now the problem is that, since the #msg div is present all the time, i see the background color even when the text is not appended to it. I have tried to add css like "display:none, but in that case i can not see the text appended to it. Can i do it so that the #msg div appears inside the #test only when the text is appended to it? Thanks.

5 Answers

I know this question has been answered with different variations but here is one more. I had a similar requirement so spent a little time trying to find a way to do it.

If you know the structure of a HTML, you can get the contents as HTML using jQuery, next change the contents of the same HTML by adding to it.

var lastPageText = $('#test p').html();
        $('#test p').html( lastPageText + ' &#128578;' )
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

<div id="test"><p>This is how things go perfecting well<span> even in a span</span></p></div>

Hope the above helps someone looking for similar answer

Cheers

Related