django authentication without a password

Viewed 19882

I'm using the default authentication system with django, but I've added on an OpenID library, where I can authenticate users via OpenID. What I'd like to do is log them in, but it seems using the default django auth system, I need their password to authenticate the user. Is there a way to get around this without actually using their password?

I'd like to do something like this...

user = ... # queried the user based on the OpenID response
user = authenticate(user) # function actually requires a username and password
login(user)

I sooner just leave off the authenticate function, but it attaches a backend field, which is required by login.

4 Answers

In order to do authenticate without password, in your settings.py:

AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS = [
# auth_backend.py implementing Class YourAuth inside yourapp folder
    'yourapp.auth_backend.YourAuth', 
# Default authentication of Django
    'django.contrib.auth.backends.ModelBackend',
]

In your auth_backend.py:

NOTE: If you have custom model for your app then import from .models CustomUser

from .models import User 
from django.conf import settings

# requires to define two functions authenticate and get_user

class YourAuth:  

    def authenticate(self, request, username=None):
        try:
            user = User.objects.get(username=username)
            return user
        except User.DoesNotExist:
            return None
        
    def get_user(self, user_id):
        try:
            return User.objects.get(pk=user_id)
        except User.DoesNotExist:
            return None

In your Views for custom login request:

# Your Logic to login user
userName = authenticate(request, username=uid)
login(request, userName)

For further reference, use the django documentation here.

Related