ExtJS 4: What is the Proper Way to Perform Inheritance

Viewed 8006

My code:

Ext.onReady(function() { // Every property is declared inside the class
Ext.define('MyCustomPanel1', {
    extend: 'Ext.panel.Panel',
    alias: 'mycustompanel1',
    title: 'I am a custom Panel 1',
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 1',
    renderTo: Ext.getBody()
});    


Ext.define('MyCustomPanel2', { // HTML is declared inside the class, title inside the config, constructor overridden
    extend: 'Ext.panel.Panel',
    alias: 'mycustompanel2',
    renderTo: Ext.getBody(),        
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 2',        
    config: {
        title: 'I am a custom Panel 2'
    },
    constructor: function(config) {
        this.callParent(arguments);
        this.initConfig(config)
    }
});        


Ext.define('MyCustomPanel3', { // Title and HTML declared inside config, constructor overridden
    extend: 'Ext.panel.Panel',
    alias: 'mycustompanel3',
    renderTo: Ext.getBody(),        
    config: {
        title: 'I am a custom Panel 3',
        html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 3'
    },
    constructor: function(config) {
        this.callParent(arguments);
        this.initConfig(config)
    }
});

Ext.define('MyCustomPanel4', { // title and html inside of initComponent, title override in instance declaration doesn't hold. HTML property is empty on render
    extend: 'Ext.panel.Panel',
    alias: 'mycustompanel4',
    renderTo: Ext.getBody(),        
    initComponent: function(config) {
        Ext.apply(this, {
            title: 'I am a custom Panel 4',
            html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 4'                
        })
        this.callParent(arguments);
    }
});            
Ext.define('MyCustomPanel5', { // title declared inside config, html set inside of initComponent. Both initComponent and constructor are used.
    extend: 'Ext.panel.Panel',
    alias: 'mycustompanel5',
    renderTo: Ext.getBody(),        
    config: {
        title: 'I am a custom Panel 5'
    },
    constructor: function(config) {
        this.callParent(arguments);
        this.initConfig(config);
    },
    initComponent: function(config) {
        Ext.apply(this, {
            html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 5'                
        })
        this.callParent(arguments);
    }
});                
Ext.create('MyCustomPanel1', {
    title: 'I am custom Panel 1 - Instance!',
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 1 - Instance!'
})
Ext.create('MyCustomPanel2', {
    title: 'I am custom Panel 2 - Instance!',
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 2 - Instance!'
})
Ext.create('MyCustomPanel3', {
    title: 'I am custom Panel 3 - Instance!',
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 3 - Instance!'
})
Ext.create('MyCustomPanel4', {
    title: 'I am custom Panel 4 - Instance!',
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 4 - Instance!'
})
Ext.create('MyCustomPanel5', {
    title: 'I am custom Panel 5 - Instance!',
    html: 'This is the content of my custom panel 5 - Instance!'
})

})

Results (via JSFiddle.net): http://jsfiddle.net/HtPtt/

Which of the above methods is the correct way to create an object by extending an existing object? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Where can I find further information on ExtJS 4 inheritance other than what is already here (http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/4-0/#/guide/class_system)?

Thanks,

2 Answers
Related