Sorting empty values last instead of first

Viewed 15929

I am trying to implement a sorting procedure which will sort according to the value of a drop down list. What happens is that when the list is being sorted, the NULL fields will be replaced by specified replacement value, in this case ''. This is being sorted first because we are sorting ascendingly, now I would want to sort ascendingly BUT with null values LAST. How could I implement this?

ORDER BY l.IsActive DESC, 
        CASE WHEN @SortOrder = 1 THEN n.DisplayName
             WHEN @SortOrder = 2 THEN CASE ec.IsEquipmentRelated
                                            WHEN  1 THEN ISNULL(el.ShopID,'') + 
                                                    ISNULL(ec.EquipmentAbbr,'') + 
                                                    ISNULL(el.ClassSequenceNumber,'') + 
                                                    ISNULL(el.EquipmentComponent,'') + 
                                                    ISNULL(el.CompSequenceNumber,'')
                                            WHEN  0 THEN ISNULL(ec.EquipmentAbbr,'')
                                            ELSE NULL
                                      END
             ELSE l.DisplayName
        END

Edit: Running MS SQL Server 2008 / T-SQL

Edit: @Joe Stefanelli, I have tried this, it's not compiling:

ORDER BY l.IsActive DESC, 
    CASE WHEN @SortOrder = 0 THEN l.DisplayName
         WHEN @SortOrder = 1 THEN CASE WHEN n.DisplayName = '' THEN 2 ELSE 1 END, n.DisplayName
         WHEN @SortOrder = 2 THEN 
                                  CASE ec.IsEquipmentRelated
                                        WHEN  1 THEN ISNULL(el.ShopID,'') + 
                                            ISNULL(ec.EquipmentAbbr,'') + 
                                            ISNULL(el.ClassSequenceNumber,'') + 
                                            ISNULL(el.EquipmentComponent,'') + 
                                            ISNULL(el.CompSequenceNumber,'')
                                        WHEN  0 THEN ISNULL(ec.EquipmentAbbr,'')
                                        ELSE NULL
                                  END
     END
4 Answers
Related