Git-flow fails with "fatal: no tag message? / Tagging failed. Please run finish again to retry"

Viewed 20144

I am using git-flow to manage a project. I am getting the following message when issuing git flow release finish foo:

fatal: no tag message? 
Tagging failed. Please run finish again to retry. 

Here is the sequence of steps to reproduce, with a brand new git repository and a single file:

touch test.txt 
git init 
git add . 
git commit -m "Initial commit" 
git flow init 
[defaults accepted] 
git flow release start 1.0 
echo "Line 1" >> test.txt 
git add . 
git commit -am "Line added" 
git flow release finish '1.0' 

At this point, error message above pops up, and Vim is called up to add a tag. When I add the tag and save, I end up on the master branch, with the release/1.0 branch still existing. Any ideas what is going wrong? Git flow version is 0.4.1.

Thank you.

3 Answers

I've solved this by adding -n at the end of the command like below.

git flow hotfix finish 'hotfix name' -n

-n means no tag.

Related