I am working on a WPF desktop application using the MVVM pattern.
I am trying to filter some items out of a ListView based on the text typed in a TextBox. I want the ListView items to be filtered as I change the text.
I want to know how to trigger the filter when the filter text changes.
The ListView binds to a CollectionViewSource, which binds to the ObservableCollection on my ViewModel. The TextBox for the filter text binds to a string on the ViewModel, with UpdateSourceTrigger=PropertyChanged, as it should be.
<CollectionViewSource x:Key="ProjectsCollection"
Source="{Binding Path=AllProjects}"
Filter="CollectionViewSource_Filter" />
<TextBox Text="{Binding Path=FilterText, UpdateSourceTrigger=PropertyChanged}" />
<ListView DataContext="{StaticResource ProjectsCollection}"
ItemsSource="{Binding}" />
The Filter="CollectionViewSource_Filter" links to an event handler in the code behind, which simply calls a filter method on the ViewModel.
Filtering is done when the value of FilterText changes - the setter for the FilterText property calls a FilterList method that iterates over the ObservableCollection in my ViewModel and sets a boolean FilteredOut property on each item ViewModel.
I know the FilteredOut property is updated when the filter text changes, but the List does not refresh. The CollectionViewSource filter event is only fired when I reload the UserControl by switching away from it and back again.
I've tried calling OnPropertyChanged("AllProjects") after updating the filter info, but it did not solve my problem.
("AllProjects" is the ObservableCollection property on my ViewModel to which the CollectionViewSource binds.)
How can I get the CollectionViewSource to refilter itself when the value of the FilterText TextBox changes?
Many thanks