Java seems to ignore -Xms and -Xmx options

Viewed 28408

I'd like to run a very simple bot written in java on my VPS. I want to limit jvm memory to let's say 10MB (I doubt it would need any more).

I'm running the bot with the following command:

java -Xms5M -Xmx10M -server -jar IrcBot.jar "/home/jbot"

But top shows that actual memory reserved for java is 144m (or am I interpreting things wrong here?).

13614 jbot 17 0 144m 16m 6740 S 0.0 3.2 0:00.20 java

Any ideas what can be wrong here?

Java version "1.6.0_20" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

BTW. I'm running CentOS - if it matters.

EDIT: Thank you for your answers.

I can't really accept any of them, since it turns out the problem lies within the language i choose to write the program, not the JVM itself.

3 Answers
Related