I want to know how Java linker works. Specifically, in which order it combines classes, interfaces, packages, methods and etc into jvm-executable format. I have found some information here, but there is not so much information about linking order.
I want to know how Java linker works. Specifically, in which order it combines classes, interfaces, packages, methods and etc into jvm-executable format. I have found some information here, but there is not so much information about linking order.
Linking is one of the three activities performed by ClassLoaders. It includes verification, preparation, and (optionally) resolution.
Verification : It ensures the correctness of .class file i.e. it check whether this file is properly formatted and generated by valid compiler or not. If verification fails, we get run-time exception java.lang.VerifyError.
Preparation : JVM allocates memory for class variables and initializing the memory to default values.
Resolution : It is the process of replacing symbolic references from the type with direct references. It is done by searching into method area to locate the referenced entity.