SQL ORDER BY with CASE with UNION ALL

Viewed 22355

Running PostgreSQL (7.4 and 8.x) and I thought this was working but now I'm getting errors.

I can run the queries separately and it works just fine, but if I UNION or UNION ALL it throws an error.

This errors out: (Warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR: column "Field1" does not exist ... ORDER BY CASE "Field1" W...)

SELECT "Field1" AS field_1, "Field2" AS field_2,
"Field3" AS field_3, "Field4" AS field_4
FROM "TableName" 
WHERE condition
AND other_condition
UNION ALL
SELECT "Field1" AS field_1, "Field2" AS field_2,
"Field3" AS field_3, "Field4" AS field_4
FROM "TableName" 
WHERE yet_another_condition
AND yet_another_other_condition
ORDER BY CASE "Field1"
    WHEN 'A' THEN 1
    WHEN 'B' THEN 2
    WHEN 'C' THEN 3
    ELSE 4
END

This works:

SELECT "Field1" AS field_1, "Field2" AS field_2,
"Field3" AS field_3, "Field4" AS field_4
FROM "TableName" 
WHERE yet_another_condition
AND yet_another_other_condition
ORDER BY CASE "Field1"
    WHEN 'A' THEN 1
    WHEN 'B' THEN 2
    WHEN 'C' THEN 3
    ELSE 4
END

And this works as well:

SELECT "Field1" AS field_1, "Field2" AS field_2,
"Field3" AS field_3, "Field4" AS field_4
FROM "TableName" 
WHERE condition
AND other_condition
ORDER BY CASE "Field1"
    WHEN 'A' THEN 1
    WHEN 'B' THEN 2
    WHEN 'C' THEN 3
    ELSE 4
END

and if I leave off the ORDER BY and just use the UNION or UNION ALL it works as well.

Any Ideas?

2 Answers
Related