javascript postMessage not working

Viewed 35916

I don't know what to do. I tried several sample codes from different sources, I tried them in different browsers (from Chrome 9 to FF 4), and still nothing seems to be working with the "postMessage" function. JS console is giving me nothing, not a single error, still nothing is happening : the frames don't want to communicate. At all. And this isn't even cross-domain : both frames are from my domain.

Here is a sample code from the last try : Parent frame :

<iframe src="IFRAME_URL"></iframe>
<script>
    window.addEventListener( "message",
      function (e) {
            if(e.origin !== 'DOMAIN'){ return; } 
            alert(e.data);
      },
      false);
</script>

Child frame :

<html>
<head></head>
<body>
    <script>
        top.postMessage('hello', 'DOMAIN');
    </script>
</body>

Help much appreciated, thanks a lot

4 Answers

you can also send the message to any window use top.postMessage('hello', "*");

Html 1:

<iframe src="IFRAME_URL"></iframe>
<script>
window.addEventListener( "message",
  function (e) { 
        alert(e.data);
  },
  false);
</script>

html 2:

<html>
<head></head>
<body>
    <script>
        top.postMessage('hello', '*');
    </script>
</body>
Related