Google dashboard with filters from grouped data - how to chart grouped data

Viewed 14245

I am looking to create a Google charts API dashboard with filtering but I would like to chart the data based on grouped data. For example, I can create a datatable such as this:

salesman  cust_age  cust_sex  quantity
Joe       21        Male      3
Joe       30        Female    10
Suzie     40        Female    2
Dave      15        Female    5
Dave      30        Male      10

I can appropriately create a dashboard that creates two controls (for cust_age and cust_sex) and any number of output graphs and tables all pulling from an external data source - this is pretty stock stuff, see http://code.google.com/apis/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/controls.html

The problem that I am having is how to show all charts by grouped values. Using a pie chart as an example, without any filters there are 5 slices of the pie (Joe, Joe, Suzie, Dave, Dave) - I would like to see only three (Joe, Suzie Dave). Of course, when a control is applied everything should update.

In other words, the filters should act on the original datatable, but the charts should be based on a grouped datatable.

I would guess that we could use the grouping function: http://code.google.com/apis/ajax/playground/?type=visualization#group however I cannot seem to bind the filters to the larger datatable, update the grouped table, and then draw the charts based on the grouped table.

Any thoughts?

4 Answers
Related