Eclipse + EGit: clone project into workspace

Viewed 57581

I'm a little confused about how EGit workes.

I have an existing git repository on Github and want to clone it into my workspace. My goal is to have the local repository directly stored inside my workspace-folder but I don't get it working with EGit.

When I want to clone the github repo with EGit, I have to choose a directory as destination. The suggested directory is in my homedir (not in my workspace). When I choose this directory I can see the project in Eclipse but it is not stored in my workspace-folder. Instead it is stored in my home dir.

When I choose a directory directly inside my workspace, later when it comes to import the project it says that there is already a directory with this name.

I don't know how to solve this. I thought this would be a common scenario. In the past I have used hgEclipse (Mercurial) and it was working exactly the way I thought it should be so I'm confused EGit doesn't. Maybe I misunderstood something.

Probably this is important to know: In the github repository there are no .project or .settings files from eclipse. I have them on my .gitignore and so in the import-dialog I have to choose "Import as General Project" and not "Import Existing Projects". But I think this shouldn't matter?

I hope someone can help me or explain me why the EGit plugin doesn't clone the repository directly into the workspace by default.

My Eclipseversion is 3.6, I have installed EGit over the markedplace.

6 Answers
Related