How can I show ellipses on my TextView if it is greater than the 1 line?

Viewed 91548

I have the following Layout which does not work:

<LinearLayout 
    android:orientation="horizontal" 
    android:layout_width="match_parent" 
    android:id="@+id/experienceLayout" 
    android:background="#ffffff" 
    android:layout_height="match_parent" 
    android:paddingLeft="6dp" 
    android:paddingRight="6dp" 
    android:paddingBottom="6dp" 
    android:paddingTop="6dp">

    <TextView 
        android:layout_weight="1" 
        android:id="@+id/experienceLabel" 
        android:text="Experience" 
        android:layout_height="wrap_content" 
        android:textColor="#000000" 
        android:layout_width="wrap_content" 
        android:textStyle="bold">
    </TextView>

    <TextView 
        android:id="@+id/experienceTextView" 
        android:text="TextView" 
        android:layout_height="wrap_content" 
        android:textColor="#000000" 
        android:layout_width="wrap_content" 
        android:ellipsize="end" 
        android:lines="1" 
        android:maxLines="1" 
        android:singleLine="true" 
        android:fadeScrollbars="false">
    </TextView>

</LinearLayout>
7 Answers

So all the answers above cater to the requirement that only 1 line and then the ellipsis should appear. However if you want the ellipsis to appear after certain lines of text, then you should use the following:

android:ellipsize="end"
android:maxLines="2"
android:singleLine="false"

With this the ellipsis will appear only after 2 lines. Note: Its important to have singleLine as false.

android:singleLine is deprecated. In my case, I had to get a fixed height for the TextView and I used the android:lines attribute instead of android:maxLines. I thought this might help someone having the same problem as mine.

android:ellipsize="end"
android:lines="2"
Related