How to label (set Title) for IIS Express process?

Viewed 2549

I have a solution with multiple websites and I have been using Cassini for development. When IIS Express came out, I transitioned one of the websites to use it, and everything has been running fine. I just moved another website to use IIS Express and immediately ran into a problem with debugging: IIS Express does not label its processes, so now that I have two of them running, I can't tell them apart in the "Attach to process" dialog.

Is there a way to have IIS Express set the process title? Anyone have any tips for telling multiple IIS Express instances apart for the purposes of attaching the debugger?

Update A round-about way of doing this is to execute "Show all applications" context menu of the IIS Express tray icon and reference the PID from the list when attaching the debugger. Better than nothing, but would be nice if there was a better way.

Update 2 I added a connect issue: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/729475/impossible-to-differentiate-iis-express-instances-when-attaching-debugger

4 Answers

I run the IISExpress instances from a batch file. The name of the cmd file then shows up as the process name in Attach to Process.

eg: have this in the MySite.cmd file

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe" /siteid:1

Would show up in the Title colum in Attach to Process as

MySite

Related