Deleting a gallery image after camera intent photo taken

Viewed 56828

I know this has been asked in many different ways but I still can not seem to delete the gallery image from the default folder. I'm saving the file to the SD card correctly and I can delete that file fine, but the default gallery image file that shows under the folder Camera will not delete.

I would like the image to delete once the activity is returned since the file is already stored on the SD card under /Coupon2.

Any suggestions?

public void startCamera() {
    Log.d("ANDRO_CAMERA", "Starting camera on the phone...");

    mManufacturerText = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.manufacturer);
    String ManufacturerText = mManufacturerText.getText().toString();
    String currentDateTimeString = new Date().toString();

    Intent intent = new Intent(MediaStore.ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE);
    File filedir = new File(Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()+"/Coupon2");
    filedir.mkdirs();

    File file = new File(Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()+"/Coupon2", ManufacturerText+"-test.png");
    outputFileUri = Uri.fromFile(file);
    intent.putExtra(MediaStore.EXTRA_OUTPUT, outputFileUri);

    startActivityForResult(intent, CAMERA_PIC_REQUEST);
}

protected void onActivityResult(int requestCode, int resultCode, Intent data) {  
    super.onActivityResult(requestCode, resultCode, data);
    if (requestCode == CAMERA_PIC_REQUEST && resultCode == -1) {  
        Intent intent = new Intent("com.android.camera.action.CROP");
        intent.putExtra("crop", "true");
        intent.putExtra("scale", "true");

        intent.putExtra("return-data", false);
        intent.setDataAndType(outputFileUri, "image/*");
        intent.putExtra(MediaStore.EXTRA_OUTPUT, outputFileUri);
        startActivityForResult(intent, CAMERA_CROP_REQUEST);
    }else { 
        SetImage();
        saveState();
    }
}
13 Answers

Below code not only deletes the image file but also deletes the 0Byte file that gets left behind when filw is deleted. I observed this 0Byte ghost file behavior in Android 10.

    val fileToDelete = File(photoUri.path)
    if (fileToDelete.exists()) {
        if (fileToDelete.delete()) {
            if (fileToDelete.exists()) {
                fileToDelete.canonicalFile.delete()
                if (fileToDelete.exists()) {
                    getApplicationContext().deleteFile(fileToDelete.name)
                }
            }
            Log.e("File", "Deleted " + savedPhotoUri?.path)
        } else {
            Log.e("File", "not Deleted " + savedPhotoUri?.path)
        }
    }
Related