"This SqlTransaction has completed; it is no longer usable."... configuration error?

Viewed 169839

I've been working on this for about a day and a half now, and searched numberous blogs and help articles on the Web. I found several questions on SO related to this error, but I didn't think they quite applied to my situation (or in some cases, unfortunately, I couldn't understand them well enough to implement :P). I'm not sure I can describe this well enough for help... but here goes:

We have a .NET app to track our resources. There's an export function to copy a resource to the time tracking system and the billing system; this accesses a stored procedure that links to the time and billing databases.

I recently moved the billing system database to a new server (original server: Server 2003 SP2, SQL 2005; new server: Server 2008 R2, SQL 2008 R2). I have a Linked Server set up that points to the 2008 databases. I updated the stored procedure to point to the 2008 server, and then I got an error about MSDTC and RPC (http://www.safnet.com/writing/tech/archives/2007/06/server_myserver.html). I enabled 'rpc/rpc out' on the Linked Server and set MSDTC to allow Network Access (something like this: http://www.sqlwebpedia.com/content/msdtc-troubleshooting).

Now I'm getting the above, when I try to run the export function: "This SqlTransaction has completed; it is no longer usable." What seems odd to me is that when I just run the stored procedure (from SSMS), it says it completes successfully.

Has anyone seen this before? Have I missed something in the configuration? I keep going over the same pages, and the only thing I found was that I didn't reboot after making the MSDTC changes (mentioned in here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/adodotnetdataproviders/thread/7172223f-acbe-4472-8cdf-feec80fd2e64/).

I can post part or all of the stored procedure, if it would help... please let me know.

10 Answers

Had the exact same problem and just could not find the right solution. Hope this helps somebody.

I have an .NET Core 3.1 WebApi with EF Core. Upon receiving multiple calls at the same time, the applications was trying to add and save changes to the database at the same time.

In my case the problem was that the table that the data would be saved in, did not have a primary key set.

Somehow EF Core missed when the migration was ran from the application that the ID in the model was supposed to be a primary key.

I found the problem by opening the SQL Profiler and seeing that all transactions was successfully submitted to the database (from the application) but only one new row was created. The profiler also showed that some type of deadlock was happening but I couldn't see much more in the trace logs of the profiler. On further inspection I noticed that the primary key identifier was missing on the column "Id".

The exceptions I got from my application was:

This SqlTransaction has completed; it is no longer usable.

and/or

An exception has been raised that is likely due to a transient failure. Consider enabling transient error resiliency by adding 'EnableRetryOnFailure()' to the 'UseSqlServer' call.

In my case, I've some codes which need to execute after committing the transaction, at the same try-catch block. One of the codes threw an error then try block handed over the error to its catch block which contains the transaction rollback. It will show a similar error. For example, look at the code structure below :

SqlTransaction trans = null;

try{
 trans = Con.BeginTransaction();
// your codes

  trans.Commit();
//your codes having errors

}
catch(Exception ex)
{
     trans.Rollback(); //transaction roll back
    // error message
}

finally
{ 
    // connection close
}

Hope it will help someone :)

For what it's worth, I've run into this on what was previously working code. I had added SELECT statements in a trigger for debug testing and forgot to remove them. Entity Framework / MVC doesnt play nice when other stuff is output to the "grid". Make sure to check for any rogue queries and remove them.

Related