Getting only necessary plugins with MEF in .NET

Viewed 5341

I have IMessageSender interface.

using System.ComponentModel.Composition;

public interface IMessageSender
{
    void Send(string message);
}

And I have two plugins that implements this interface. This is plugin.cs.

using System.ComponentModel.Composition;
using System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting;
using System.Reflection;
using System;

[Export(typeof(IMessageSender))]
public class EmailSender : IMessageSender
{
    public void Send(string message)
    {
        Console.WriteLine(message);
    }
}

and this is plugin2.cs

[Export(typeof(IMessageSender))]
public class EmailSender : IMessageSender
{
    public void Send(string message)
    {
        Console.WriteLine(message + "!!!!");
    }
}

And I have this code to run those plugins with MEF.

using System.ComponentModel.Composition;
using System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting;
using System.Reflection;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System;

public class Program
{
    [ImportMany]
    public IEnumerable<IMessageSender> MessageSender { get; set; }

    public static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        Program p = new Program();
        p.Run();

        foreach (var message in p.MessageSender) {
            message.Send("hello, world");
        }
    }

    public void Run()
    {
      Compose();
    }

    private void Compose()
    {
        var catalog = new AggregateCatalog(); 
        catalog.Catalogs.Add(new DirectoryCatalog(@"./"));

        var container = new CompositionContainer(catalog);
        container.ComposeParts(this);
    }
}

After compilation, I get what I want.

> mono program.exe 
hello, world
hello, world!!!!

My question is how can I selectively run out of many plugins. This example just gets all the available plugins to run all of them, but what should I do when I just want to run first plugin or second plugin?

For example, can I run only plugin2.dll as follows?

public static void Main(string[] args)
{
    Program p = new Program();
    p.Run();

    var message = messageSender.GetPlugin("plugin"); // ???
    message.Send("hello, world");
}

SOLVED

Based on this site, and Matthew Abbott's answer. I could come up with this working code.

interface code (interface.cs)

using System.ComponentModel.Composition;
using System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting;
using System.Reflection;
using System;

public interface IMessageSender
{
    void Send(string message);
}

public interface IMessageSenderMetadata
{
    string Name {get; }
    string Version {get; }
}

[MetadataAttribute]  
[AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Class, AllowMultiple = false)]
public class MessageMetadataAttribute : ExportAttribute, IMessageSenderMetadata
{
    public MessageMetadataAttribute( string name, string version)  
            : base(typeof(IMessageSender))  
        {  
            Name = name;  
            Version = version;  
        }  

    public string Name { get; set; }  
    public string Version { get; set; }  
}

Plugin code (Plugin.cs ...)

using System.ComponentModel.Composition;
using System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting;
using System.Reflection;
using System;

[MessageMetadataAttribute("EmailSender1", "1.0.0.0")]
public class EmailSender : IMessageSender
{
    public void Send(string message)
    {
        Console.WriteLine(message + "????");
    }
}

Program.cs

using System.ComponentModel.Composition;
using System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting;
using System.Reflection;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System;
using System.Linq;

public class Program
{
    [ImportMany(typeof(IMessageSender), AllowRecomposition = true)]  
    public IEnumerable<Lazy<IMessageSender, IMessageSenderMetadata>> Senders { get; set; }

    public static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        Program p = new Program();
        p.Run();

        var sender1 = p.GetMessageSender("EmailSender1","1.0.0.0");
        sender1.Send("hello, world");
        sender1 = p.GetMessageSender("EmailSender2","1.0.0.0");
        sender1.Send("hello, world");
    }

    public void Run()
    {
      Compose();
    }

    public IMessageSender GetMessageSender(string name, string version)
    {
      return Senders
        .Where(l => l.Metadata.Name.Equals(name) && l.Metadata.Version.Equals(version))
        .Select(l => l.Value)
        .FirstOrDefault();
    }

    private void Compose()
    {
        var catalog = new AggregateCatalog(); 
        catalog.Catalogs.Add(new DirectoryCatalog(@"./"));

        var container = new CompositionContainer(catalog);
        container.ComposeParts(this);
    }
}
1 Answers
Related