Creating Ribbon Styled Applications

Viewed 17719

Using the standard Delphi TRibbon components I noticed they are not that brilliant.

  • Firstly they dont look as nice as the Microsoft ones, for example the glow effects and colors in the TRibbon dont look as impressive as the ones used in Wordpad or Paint in Windows 7.

  • Secondly if you want to create Ribbon Styled interfaces, I noticed that there is no Ribbon style menus or popup menus independent of the TRibbon. For the actual Ribbon there is, but if say for continuity purposes you wanted the Ribbon style popup menus assigned to a TListbox or TListView for example, there doesnt appear to be one.

  • Thirdly, sometimes when a Ribbon Action is disabled, it still shows the Hot glow effect as if hovering over the Action, even though it is disabled.

  • Finally I find it very fiddly trying to place container components such as a TCombobox in a group. It is really awkward sizing the controls and position etc.

I guess my point is that using the standard Delphi TRibbon components appears to be not the best approach both visually and useably. How can I make a Ribbon styled Application look and work as neatly as the Microsoft ones do just like I said before the way that Wordpad and Paint do in Windows 7?

Have a look at this comparison screenshot to get a better idea:

enter image description here

The Delphi Ribbon seems incomplete, unless I am expecting too much. I believed the Ribbon Components are to provide your Application with a better experience for the end user both visually and better workspace etc.

What suggestions could you give to enhance or make the TRibbon work and look like the Microsoft ones?

I dont use Ribbon Style Interfaces all the time so purchasing 3rd Party Components is not something I really want to do. I have looked at the TMS and DevExpress ones but for the price of them, they dont look as good either. The TMS ones look worse than the standard Delphi TRibbon.

3 Answers
Related