C++ get linux distribution name\version

Viewed 21126

According to the question " How to get Linux distribution name and version? ", to get the linux distro name and version, this works:

lsb_release -a

On my system, it shows the needed output:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 9.10
Release:    9.10
Codename:   karmic

Now, to get this info in C++, Qt4's QProcess would be a great option but since I am developing without Qt using std c++, I need to know how to get this info in standard C++, i.e. the stdout of the process, and also a way to parse the info.

Uptil now I am trying to use code from here but am stuck on function read().

6 Answers

Personally I like the uname solution posted by @Alok Slav, but in case it helps someone who needs to use a command-line utility to get the info, consider using popen.

Related