Out parameters and pass by reference

Viewed 66072

I have joined a new group that has coding guidelines that (to me) seem dated.

But just rallying against the machine without valid backup is not going to get me anywhere.
So I am turning to SO to see if we can up with rational reasons for/against (hey I may be wrong in my option so both sides of the argument would be appreciated).

The guideline that is up for argument is:

Tip: Use pointers instead of references for return arguments.

void Func1( CFoo &Return );  // bad  
void Func2( CFoo *pReturn ); // good  

Justification:
When you use a reference, it looks the same as a value. The caller may be surprised that his value has been changed after calling the function. The callee may innocently modify the value without meaning to affect the caller's value. By using a pointer, it is clear to both the caller and callee that the value can be changed. Using references can be particularly misleading in code reviews.

10 Answers
Related