MySQL datetime index is not working

Viewed 18215

Table structure:

+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field       | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id          | int(11)  | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| total       | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| thedatetime | datetime | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+----------------+

Total rows: 137967

mysql> explain select * from out where thedatetime <= NOW();
+----+-------------+-------------+------+---------------+------+---------+------+--------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table       | type | possible_keys | key  | key_len | ref  | rows   | Extra       |
+----+-------------+-------------+------+---------------+------+---------+------+--------+-------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | out         | ALL  | thedatetime   | NULL | NULL    | NULL | 137967 | Using where |
+----+-------------+-------------+------+---------------+------+---------+------+--------+-------------+

The real query is much more longer with more table joins, the point is, I can't get the table to use the datetime index. This is going to be hard for me if I want to select all data until certain date. However, I noticed that I can get MySQL to use the index if I select a smaller subset of data.

mysql> explain select * from out where thedatetime <= '2008-01-01';
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+-------------+---------+------+-------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table       | type  | possible_keys | key         | key_len | ref  | rows  | Extra       |
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+-------------+---------+------+-------+-------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | out         | range | thedatetime   | thedatetime | 9       | NULL | 15826 | Using where |
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+-------------+---------+------+-------+-------------+

mysql> select count(*) from out where thedatetime <= '2008-01-01';
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|    15990 |
+----------+

So, what can I do to make sure MySQL will use the index no matter what date that I put?

2 Answers
Related