How do I get the file HANDLE from the fopen FILE structure?

Viewed 26373

The fopen function returns a pointer to a FILE structure, which should be considered an opaque value, without dealing with its content or meaning.

On Windows, the C runtime is a wrapper of the Windows API, and the fopen function relies on the CreateFile function. The CreateFile function returns a HANDLE, which is used by other Windows API.

Now, I need to use Windows API deep inside of a library that uses fopen and FILE*. So: is there a way to get the HANDLE from the FILE structure? As this is compiler specific, I mean on the MSVC runtime library.

I understand that this would be an ugly, non-portable hack, and that could broke if Microsoft changes the internal format of FILE... but I'm developing on a closed system (i.e. on a Windows CE embedded system) and refactoring the library would be difficult and time consuming.

3 Answers
Related