How can I deploy a .NET application that uses ODAC without installing the whole component to the user?

Viewed 48537

I have written a C# application that connects to an Oracle 10g database. Using Oracle Data Access Component 11.2 "ODAC", it works perfectly on my machine.

And now I want to deploy the application and install it in another "clean machine" that has the .NET Framework only! And I don't want to install the whole ODAC component to the user!

How could I do that? I have tried to include all the necessary DLL files to my bin folder, like:

  • oci.dll
  • ociw32.dll
  • Oracle.DataAccess.dll
  • orannzsbb11.dll
  • oraocci11.dll
  • oraociicus11.dll
  • OraOps11w.dll
  • msvcr71.dll

But still it didn't work. What should I do to solve this problem?

4 Answers

You don't need to install any Oracle client separately. I installed the following in the same directory as the .exe:

   Oracle.DataAccess.dll

   oci.dll 

   OraOps11w.dll

   oraociei11.dll

   msvcr71.dll 

Make sure your project references the same Oracle.DataAccess.dll that you are delivering. This worked on a fresh pc which had never had oracle clients installed.

I avoided using TNSNAMES.ora by specifiying a connection string like this

connectionstring = Data Source="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=)(PORT=))" + "(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER = DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME = )))"

If you are using TNSNAMES.ora just cut and paste the connection details into a single line string.

see What is the minimum client footprint required to connect C# to an Oracle database?

for more information.

  • ejm

For information on how to obtain the above dlls, see this tutorial: http://begeeben.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/accessing-oracle-database-without-installing-oracle-client/

For NET Framework net462, net463, net47, net471, net472, net48 use the nuget package: Oracle.ManagedDataAccess In c# project, add the next line:

<PackageReference Include="Oracle.ManagedDataAccess" Version="21.5.0" />

For netcore .NET net5.0/net6.0,netcoreapp3.0, netcoreapp3.1,netstandard2.1
use the package: Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Core

<PackageReference Include="Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Core" Version="3.21.50" />

If you are using TNS names (e.g ORCL in tnsnames.ora), the connection string is:

 string oradb = $"Data Source=ORCL;User Id=hr;Password=hr;";

Also, you can use Easy Connect Naming Method;

 string oradb = $"Data Source=192.168.1.70/{SERVICE_NAME};User Id=hr;Password=hr;";
Related