Visual Studio 2010: why all the foreign language folders?

Viewed 7519

In the /bin/debug folder of my solution I've noticed a slew of what appear to be foreign language folders with names like "ar", "bg", "ca", "cs", "da"... all the way to "zh-Hant". The folders each have copies of these 4 DLLs:

  • System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.resources.dll
  • System.Windows.Controls.Data.Input.resources.dll
  • System.Windows.Controls.Data.resources.dll
  • System.Windows.Controls.resources.dll

The Silverlight application I'm developing doesn't have any internationalization support, so I can't figure out how these files and folders got there. All in all, it's almost 13 MB of files.

Worse yet, when I delete them, they are regenerated the next time I build the solution.

Any advice?

ETA:

Here's the list of DLLs referenced by the Silverlight project:

  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Client
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Toolkit
  • mscorlib
  • system
  • System.Core
  • System.Net
  • System.Runtime.Serialization
  • System.ServiceModel
  • System.Windows
  • System.Windows.Browser
  • System.Windows.Controls
  • System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit
  • System.Windows.Controls.Navigation
  • System.Windows.Interactivity
  • System.Xml
5 Answers

I can here searching for a solution to this problem, but stumbled upon one myself. I set these 2 dll's to copy local false:

<Reference Include="System.Windows.Controls, Version=5.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
  <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
  <Private>False</Private>
</Reference>
<Reference Include="System.Windows.Controls.Navigation, Version=5.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
  <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
  <Private>False</Private>
</Reference>

I'd say @darkphoenix is correct, but the folders are only created if you wish to include those internationalized dll's in your output. Find the dll's you use and set them to copy local false (named 'private' in the project file). If you still need these dll's to run your application, consider having a hard copy of them in a library folder.

Related