Python garbage collection can be that slow?

Viewed 13834

I have a problem with my python application, and I think it's related to the python garbage collection, even if I'm not sure...

The problem is that my application takes a lot of time to exit and to switch to one function to the next one.

In my application I handle very large dictionaries, containing thousands of large objects which are instantiated from wrapped C++ classes.

I put some timestamp outputs in my program, and I saw that at the end of each function, when objects created inside the function should go out of scope, a lot of time is spent by the interpreter before calling the next function. And I observe the same problem at the end of the application, when the program should exit: a lot of time (~ hours!) is spent between the last timestamp on screen and the appearance of the fresh prompt.

The memory usage is stable, so I don't really have memory leaks.

Any suggestions?

Can be the garbage collection of thousands of large C++ objects that slow?

Is there a method to speed up that?

UPDATE:

Thanks a lot for all your answers, you gave me a lot of hints to debug my code :-)

I use Python 2.6.5 on Scientific Linux 5, a customized distribution based on Red Hat Enterprise 5. And actually I'm not using SWIG to get Python bindings for our C++ code, but the Reflex/PyROOT framework. I know, it's not very known outside particle physics (but still open source and freely available) and I have to use it because it's the default for our main framework.

And in this context the DEL command from the Python side does not work, I had already tried it. DEL only deletes the python variable linked to the C++ object, not the object itself in memory, which is still owned by the C++ side...

...I know, it's not-standard I guess, and a bit complicated, sorry :-P

But following your hints, I'll profile my code and I'll come back to you with more details, as you suggested.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE:

Ok, following your suggestions, I instrumented my code with cProfile, and I discovered that actually the gc.collect() function is the function taking the most of the running time!!

Here the output from cProfile + pstats print_stats():


    >>> p.sort_stats("time").print_stats(20)
Wed Oct 20 17:46:02 2010    mainProgram.profile

         547303 function calls (542629 primitive calls) in 548.060 CPU seconds

   Ordered by: internal time
   List reduced from 727 to 20 due to restriction 

   ncalls  tottime  percall  cumtime  percall filename:lineno(function)
        4  345.701   86.425  345.704   86.426 {gc.collect}
        1  167.115  167.115  200.946  200.946 PlotD3PD_v3.2.py:2041(PlotSamplesBranches)
       28   12.817    0.458   13.345    0.477 PlotROOTUtils.py:205(SaveItems)
     9900   10.425    0.001   10.426    0.001 PlotD3PD_v3.2.py:1973(HistoStyle)
     6622    5.188    0.001    5.278    0.001 PlotROOTUtils.py:403(__init__)
       57    0.625    0.011    0.625    0.011 {built-in method load}
      103    0.625    0.006    0.792    0.008 dbutils.py:41(DeadlockWrap)
       14    0.475    0.034    0.475    0.034 {method 'dump' of 'cPickle.Pickler' objects}
     6622    0.453    0.000    5.908    0.001 PlotROOTUtils.py:421(CreateCanvas)
    26455    0.434    0.000    0.508    0.000 /opt/root/lib/ROOT.py:215(__getattr__)
[...]

>>> p.sort_stats("cumulative").print_stats(20)
Wed Oct 20 17:46:02 2010    mainProgram.profile

         547303 function calls (542629 primitive calls) in 548.060 CPU seconds

   Ordered by: cumulative time
   List reduced from 727 to 20 due to restriction 

   ncalls  tottime  percall  cumtime  percall filename:lineno(function)
        1    0.001    0.001  548.068  548.068 PlotD3PD_v3.2.py:2492(main)
        4    0.000    0.000  346.756   86.689 /usr/lib//lib/python2.5/site-packages/guppy/heapy/Use.py:171(heap)
        4    0.005    0.001  346.752   86.688 /usr/lib//lib/python2.5/site-packages/guppy/heapy/View.py:344(heap)
        1    0.002    0.002  346.147  346.147 PlotD3PD_v3.2.py:2537(LogAndFinalize)
        4  345.701   86.425  345.704   86.426 {gc.collect}
        1  167.115  167.115  200.946  200.946 PlotD3PD_v3.2.py:2041(PlotBranches)
       28   12.817    0.458   13.345    0.477 PlotROOTUtils.py:205(SaveItems)
     9900   10.425    0.001   10.426    0.001 PlotD3PD_v3.2.py:1973(HistoStyle)
    13202    0.336    0.000    6.818    0.001 PlotROOTUtils.py:431(PlottingCanvases)
     6622    0.453    0.000    5.908    0.001 /root/svn_co/rbianchi/SoftwareDevelopment

[...]

>>>

So, in both outputs, sorted by "time" and by "cumulative" time respectively, gc.collect() is the function consuming the most of the running time of my program! :-P

And this is the output of the memory profiler Heapy, just before returning the main() program.

memory usage before return:
Partition of a set of 65901 objects. Total size = 4765572 bytes.
 Index  Count   %     Size   % Cumulative  % Kind (class / dict of class)
     0  25437  39  1452444  30   1452444  30 str
     1   6622  10   900592  19   2353036  49 dict of PlotROOTUtils.Canvas
     2    109   0   567016  12   2920052  61 dict of module
     3   7312  11   280644   6   3200696  67 tuple
     4   6622  10   238392   5   3439088  72 0xa4ab74c
     5   6622  10   185416   4   3624504  76 PlotROOTUtils.Canvas
     6   2024   3   137632   3   3762136  79 types.CodeType
     7    263   0   129080   3   3891216  82 dict (no owner)
     8    254   0   119024   2   4010240  84 dict of type
     9    254   0   109728   2   4119968  86 type
  Index  Count   %     Size   % Cumulative  % Kind (class / dict of class)
    10   1917   3   107352   2   4264012  88 function
    11   3647   5   102116   2   4366128  90 ROOT.MethodProxy
    12    148   0    80800   2   4446928  92 dict of class
    13   1109   2    39924   1   4486852  93 __builtin__.wrapper_descriptor
    14    239   0    23136   0   4509988  93 list
    15     87   0    22968   0   4532956  94 dict of guppy.etc.Glue.Interface
    16    644   1    20608   0   4553564  94 types.BuiltinFunctionType
    17    495   1    19800   0   4573364  94 __builtin__.weakref
    18     23   0    11960   0   4585324  95 dict of guppy.etc.Glue.Share
    19    367   1    11744   0   4597068  95 __builtin__.method_descriptor

Any idea why, or how to optimize the garbage collection?

Is there any more detailed check I can do?

3 Answers
Related