GCC inline assembly: constraints

Viewed 6941

I'm having difficulty understanding the role constraints play in GCC inline assembly (x86). I've read the manual, which explains exactly what each constraint does. The problem is that even though I understand what each constraint does, I have very little understanding of why you would use one constraint over another, or what the implications might be.

I realize this is a very broad topic, so a small example should help narrow the focus. The following is a simple asm routine which just adds two numbers. If an integer overflow occurs, it writes a value of 1 to an output C variable.

 int32_t a = 10, b = 5;
 int32_t c = 0; // overflow flag

 __asm__
 (
  "addl %2,%3;"        // Do a + b (the result goes into b)
  "jno 0f;"            // Jump ahead if an overflow occurred
  "movl $1, %1;"       // Copy 1 into c
  "0:"                 // We're done.

  :"=r"(b), "=m"(c)    // Output list
  :"r"(a), "0"(b)     // Input list
 );

Now this works fine, except I had to arbitrarily fiddle with the constraints until I got it to work correctly. Originally, I used the following constraints:

  :"=r"(b), "=m"(c)    // Output list
  :"r"(a), "m"(b)     // Input list

Note that instead of a "0", I use an "m" constraint for b. This had a weird side effect where if I compiled with optimization flags and called the function twice, for some reason the result of the addition operation would also get stored in c. I eventually read about "matching constraints", which allows you to specify that a variable is to be used as both an input and output operand. When I changed "m"(b) to "0"(b) it worked.

But I don't really understand why you would use one constraint over another. I mean yeah, I understand that "r" means the variable should be in a register and "m" means it should be in memory - but I don't really understand what the implications of choosing one over another are, or why the addition operation doesn't work correctly if I choose a certain combination of constraints.

Questions: 1) In the above example code, why did the "m" constraint on b cause c to get written to? 2) Is there any tutorial or online resource which goes into more detail about constraints?

1 Answers
Related